The project addresses irregularities and conflicts emanating from the practising of unregulated urban agriculture in the city of Harare. The main aim is to achieve the development of a sustainable city where hunger and poverty are minimised. The project encourages urban dwellers to produce their own food for consumption or sale. In the short term, a regulated urban agriculture system will attract urban farmers to join an established association as it enables easy access to land, input, and urban farming kits (UFK). In the long term, the implementation of a successful urban agriculture system as demonstrated by several small-scale urban farms will influence the implementation of land-use planning and environmental regulations that support urban agriculture in various dimensions.
The project aims to improve and strengthen urban food systems in Harare. Urban agriculture reduces hunger, and income poverty and improves the environmental sustainability of the city. The primary beneficiaries of this project are urban farmers in low-income neighbourhoods. Urban agriculture methodologies are location-determined, meaning that the type, magnitude and production can vary from one site to the other.
5. Do you know that food is both a problem and a solution for sustainable development? This project utilises urban food poverty as an opportunity for the integration of urban agriculture in land use planning.
Partner with us
We are looking for:
1. With experts in Urban agriculture and sustainable town planning
2. Researchers who are interested in conducting research or supporting knowledge exchange about transitioning cities into sustainable cities.
1. To support the association of urban farmers with quality materials and access to markets
2. To conduct workshops with important stakeholders.
3. To raise awareness among the urban population on the negative consequences of illegal farming and the best strategies to engage in sustainable and legal urban farming.
Developing a regulated urban agriculture system in Harare, Zimbabwe
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.